The Drivers of Female Sexual Dysfunction
Female sexual dysfunction is characterized by a lack of desire, arousal and orgasm. That’s not to say its causes aren’t physical, they certainly can be. Hypertension, heart disease, cancer, diabetes, thyroid disorders, neurological diseases and autoimmune disorders can all contribute to a woman’s lack of sexual desire. Other factors include certain prescriptions drugs, particularly anti-hypertensives and depression medication, as well as over-the-counter medications and illegal drugs and alcohol abuse.
So Is there a Female Viagra?
Regular Viagra that we are all familiar with, is designed to increase blood flow to the genitals. This is the pharmaceutical product Viagra that works well for many men who suffer with impotence — or erectile dysfunction. Interestingly, in tests Viagra-like drugs also seem to help about 20 percent of women with female sexual dysfunction – that’s to say, in the case where the woman concerned is having difficulties with lubrication (blood flow to the female genitals increase lubrication).
At the time of writing there are no pharmaceutical female Viagra drugs on the market. Though that could certainly change over the next few years as numerous drug companies and researchers race to develop female Viagra for what promises to be a huge & very lucrative market. Banking on the success of Viagra — the drug companies hope to find its female Viagra equivalent. At the moment, they are focused on developing a drug that increases blood flow to the female genitals, resulting in vaginal lubrication and relaxing vaginal muscles.
Outside of a ‘pharmaceutical’ answer to female Viagra which doesn’t yet exist, there are however, established – albeit not particularly well know – herbal Viagra options for women:
‘Herbal’ Female Viagra
It has to be said, that the use of herbs and nutrients to enhance women’s sex drives and pleasure is nothing new. For many years, folk medicine and naturopathic healing have had a variety of natural and botanical ingredients in their arsenal of tools to combat women’s flagging sexuality due to fatigue, stress, dietary deficiency, aging, hormonal changes or emotional upset. What’s new now is the availability of specialized, pre-calibrated formulas in new standardized dosages using many of these time-honored ingredients.
The following natural herbs are examples of some of the ingredients used in female Viagra preparations. They all have some kind of sexual libido characteristic, which when used in combination create a wholesome & holistic solution to female sexual dysfunction.
- Damiana Leaf – Folium Turneraceae Herb from the subtropics that counteracts chronic loss of sexual power. Damiana has a reputation as a powerful woman’s herb with its progesteronic action and powerful aphrodisiac properties. It acts as a tonic to the central nervous system, urinary, reproductive, digestive, and respiratory systems. Damiana is also useful in the treatment of vaginal dryness.
- Suma Root – Radix Pfaffiae Paniculatae Suma root contains an amazing 152 identified compounds containing the nutritive value of 19 amino acids and many minerals and vitamins. Suma is an excellent natural neuroendocrine restorative, metabolic regulator, antioxidant and immune enhancer. Suma restores the endocrine and immune systems, and also increases estrogens and androgens.
- Motherwort – Herba Leonori Motherwort is known as a true woman’s remedy. This wonderful herb is a uterine tonic that contains alkaloids with the ability to produce uterine contraction. Motherwort is reputed to release tension caused by emotional and mental stress.
- Wild Yam – Rhizoma Dioscorea Villosae Wild Yam is also called Mexican Wild Yam or Colic Root. Balances human hormone production, enhances a woman’s sexual energy. Wild Yam also contains diosgenin, a steroid-like substance that when used in small doses in its natural form, increases fertility.
- Ginkgo Biloba Increases moisture retention in the upper layers of the skin, and soothes irritation. Improves circulation and vasodilation. Ginkgo is also an antioxidant useful against free radicals, substances that damage cellular health and accelerate aging from both internal and environmental toxins. Gingko leaf it is one of the best herbs available for promoting blood flow and oxygenation throughout the entire body.
- Peppermint Leaf – Folium Menthae Piperitae Helps the absorption of other substances through cell membranes, induces natural lubrication, invigorates the mind, improves the mood and relaxes a tension-filled, anxiety-ridden nervous system.
Female Viagra Preparations
There are two basic female Viagra preparations available. The first category are the libido-booster supplements. Libido-booster supplements work at many different levels to enhance the circulatory system, balance hormones, improve the reproductive system and to establish a feeling of wellbeing. Most women report positive effects after only about a week or two of taking libido-booster supplements.
The other herbal female Viagra option is female Viagra cream. Female Viagra Cream is basically an arousal cream – once applied, the cream improves blood flow and dilation of the blood vessels around the clitoris, thus greatly enhancing sensitivity and arousal. The response time is fairly rapid and the effect further enhanced with sexual stimulation through touching, rubbing, and licking in the clitoral area.
Only very recently have herbal female Viagra products moved into consumer focus. It is becoming a booming segment of the natural supplement market that’s more popular than ever. Unlike prescription medications, these natural supplements have no side effects and can be obtained without a prescription or costly doctor’s office visit. Because of their safety and efficacy, natural supplements are the number one choice today among women seeking to improve their libido and sexual pleasure